Monday, December 21, 2009

Henry Davis

last month i asked the kids if they would be willing to give up some of their christmas presents to give to kids who needed them. They said YES! I couldn't have been more proud. We donated them to the Henry Davis Foundation. Henry Davis is a man who works to give to others. He keeps only enough to get by. Every year he hosts a free meal, and free toys for those in need. This year we were blessed to be a part of it. The girls and I were in charge of wrapping the gifts to be given to the kids on christmas. People lined up at 4 am, the doors didn't open until 11. Hundreds of people came through the doors, enjoyed a meal, and got to choose one toy for each of their children. Some people got nice new toys, some got used toys, all were grateful.
One little girl stood out to me, and brought out the tears i had been holding in all day.... She was 6. by the time she got through the line, there were no new toys left. She chose a baby doll, with a stain on it's dress and dirt on it's face....She came up to me to get it wrapped and proudly announced in the most excited of voices..."This is for me!!" the tears came, though i tried not to let her see. I wanted so badly to get her name and number and show up at her door with piles of toys to make her christmas magical, but I didn't want to get in trouble. Now i think of her and her 3 sisters every night, their big smiles, their dirty clothes, and the way they took such joy in the simplest of things and i pray that they are always as happy as they were when they recieved their dolls that day. God didn't give them many material things, but he gave them hope, and he gave them joy, and he gave them a spirit that i'm sure will touch many over the years.

I'm even more excited now about spreading God's love, and giving back for all that he has blessed me with. I hope my children will also be given the gift of compassion and a desire to help those in need, because if not to do his work...why are we here?

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more! Anything we do, no matter how big or small in man's eyes, is huge in God's..."as you've done it unto the least of these brothers of mine, you've done it unto me".

    ReplyDelete